Monday, January 3, 2011

1st Annual "The Year Ahead Looks Shitty" Awards

Whelp, it's 2011. Congrats to all who made it. I'm sure this year has a lot of fun times in store, plus a lot of retarded shit to provide me with material. High fives all 'round. To commemorate what can loosely be described as an occasion, here's a list of things I give just enough of a shit about to complain about.

Band Reunions: I've become desensitized to them. Every month there's news of some band that was mildly popular in the 80s or 90s getting back together and doing a world tour, and frankly it's getting stupid. The reason it was a big fucking thing that Janes Addiction or Soundgarden reunited is because they were very important, very widely appreciated bands who broke up in their prime amid fractured relationships. It makes for wonderful drama. Hearing news of, say... Poison reuniting (I know it's a bit behind the times, but bear with me) somehow has less of an impact. Even the news of a Velvet Revolver reunion smacks of "who gives a shit?" Until Johnny Marr and Morrissey announce a Smiths reunion, I declare a moratorium on old bands getting back together.

The Improvements In Computer Graphics In Movies: Not only have they made it impossible to enjoy campy old movies like the original Tron (I tried, I really did, and it just looked dumb), but they've made everything look the damn same to me. Avatar is obviously the worst offender, but almost any movie you see now will have "breathtaking" visuals. Thing is, once everyone is doing it, it's hardly breathtaking, is it? It just becomes this homogeneous wave of nondescript prettiness that approaches reality but never really reaches it because there's always that little uncanny valley bit in the back of your head that knows what your seeing isn't real, and it disgusts you. I hope against hope that people will figure out an interesting way to use the immense technological power we have now in a way that isn't just "bigger is better," my boredom continues. Special mention to Scott Pilgrim vs The World, as it is so far the only modern movie to actually visually interesting, not just cornea-lancing-ly overwrought.

Parkway Drive: Why do people like these fags? It's just generic, breakdown-y metalcore. Get over it.

BP Being Giant Douchebags: Destroying the environment aside, BP are tremendous bastards through and through. Why? Practically all the petrol stations in Perth are supplied by them. If anyone has been paying attention lately, prices have been climbing and climbing while certain service stations all around are having trouble getting enough fuel to meet demands. Oddly, BP service stations didn't have this problem. My prediction for the new year? Look forward to being bled dry for your car as BP try to make up their losses by taking it from your pockets.

Glee: Glee is dumb.

Two And A Half Men: That show is also dumb, I can't believe it keeps getting renewed.

Any Sit-Com That Isn't "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia": Yeah, pretty much what I just said.

Well, that's about it for now, at least. Expect more complaints, insights and complaints throughout 2011. I've managed to never miss an update since I got started in June 2010 and I hope to maintain my record. The ring finger on my right hand seems to be shooting out white pus, so I leave you with that image.

No comments:

Post a Comment