Monday, August 23, 2010

I Got 99 Problems...

I'm going to come clean... I dislike hip-hop. I really do. Maybe it's the fact that, throughout high school, FM radio was pretty much saturated with it, or maybe it's the fact that it just does absolutely nothing for me, musically, I'm not sure. At any rate, the idea of stripping music down to lyric and rythym has always seemed kinda dumb to me, and no amount of nifty sound effects and street poetry can really help me get over the lack of melodies or cool musical ideas.
Like most lonely, sad losers, I got into Radiohead, and from there I discovered trip-hop like Massive Attack and Portishead, and I was quite shocked to find that you could do something kinda cool with hip-hop ideas. Even bands like The Gorillaz, who used rapping interludes in their music, seemed to do it really well. Needless to say, my preconceived notions had been shattered, and being wrong about something worried me.
Just recently, I listened to an album by the unfortunately named Jaydiohead, which is a mashup of Jay-Z rapping and Radiohead backing tracks. It was very entertaining and warrants repeated listens. I recommend it to all out there. Could it... could it be that I'm slowly becoming a hip-hop fan? No, of course not, don't be retarded. The answer is far more pleasing to a cynic like me.
They aren't talented. We'd suspected it for a while, but now we have proof. Sure, they can write nifty rhymes and such, but musically, they're about as talented as a bowl of slightly cooled custard with flies in it. By "they", I of course mean "rappers" and by "talented" I mean "possessing the ability to write good music". Yes, just as I had predicted, music should probably be left up to the musicians. Good thing, too, they're generally the best at it.
I feel bad for denigrating an entire genre of music, but I do it to country all the time and frankly it's just what I've observed. Just putting together a string of observations; I've never liked rapping or hip-hop, talented musicians take some ideas from said genres and make it something enjoyable, I still don't like old rapping or hip-hop. Seems like a forgone conclusion, really.

1 comment:

  1. I just want to say this is a terribly written article and I hate looking at it.

    ReplyDelete